Change isn't the answer to some things and IMO I think things are better left alone if that's what the people want...After all it's the hard working people whom pay taxes to keep those idiots who want to change everything in office.
LPD you confuse me 95% of the time. I never liked the idea that was suggested, and don't think anything needs to be a rush job. That was the stupidest idea ever, but it also can't be a world that the moment someone mentions a need to study and plan or look at alternative ideas as being crucified and someone being labeled as trying to get 'us'. That's the mentality of some and you know it just as well as I do. Did the board make some mistakes? Hades yes they did. No question. Biggest problem is that you mention people researching things, well nobody does. If Larry Bob tells them its not necessary they believe it, because Larry Bob is a good boy, or from the same political party or from their school and has the same beliefs. It's one of those situations when whomever does it, has to realize that hey we're going to do this, and we probably aren't going to be re-elected but many times in history, what is best for people isn't always liked when it first happens.
I'm sorry, there are always going to be kids upset if the school consolidates but you know kids are pretty resiliant, you can change things and kids adapt, its adults that tend to be set in their ways and want things status quo. You keep saying this board, well Franks in a few months isn't "the board" and unless they have some miracle play, him voicing his opinions now isn't going to cause a last second board vote and consolidation to be pushed thru next Tuesday, so if its upsetting people, they need to get a grip. I mean if they try to discuss it, and sorry his views in the paper aren't, at least to me, an attempt to say we're doing it, it's just someone who is putting out some of their ideas, the exact thing that some did against consolidation when it was a front burner idea. We can sit there and say it upsets kids, but you know if you do it next year, you upset the kids who would be seniors that year, if you do it 5 years from now you upset kids who would be seniors that year, if you do it 10 years from now you upset kids who would be seniors that year, its never going to not upset some.
Its bad, to quote something Counts said the other day, I feel like I'm arguing both sides sometimes, because I'm not a fan of consolidation, but I realize changes got to happen.
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.
Change isn't the answer to some things and IMO I think things are better left alone if that's what the people want...After all it's the hard working people whom pay taxes to keep those idiots who want to change everything in office.
Take em one at a time and everything else will take care of itself.
I belong to God Now.
I agree that not all change is good and in consolidation for any school there needs to be an improvement in the kids education and not just money issues that push the situation.
In fact Ole Tob you may be able to help us in understanding the consolidation issue better. GC was once two other High Schools (Shoemaker and I can't remember the other) Would the students of GC have been better off if those two schools had remained open or do you think that the students of GCHS have benefited from the pooled resources and the Larger/Newer school?
To be honest I dunno the situations that they were facing back then...So to answer the question I can't because I wasn't alive then to know...All I can say is alot has changed since then so who knows?
Take em one at a time and everything else will take care of itself.
I belong to God Now.
And this is to no one in particular. Just a few more of my thoughts on the letter.
Things i am talking about. Yes at some point there does need to be a consolidation.
And yes kids get upset. But should they have to live their lives that way, from year to year?
DC has a consolidation plan, yet no one in DC seems worried, cause most don't even think it's ever gonna happen.
Honestly now do they? Yeah the vote was there. But nothing.
The kids in Wise Co. have faced this time after time, and honestly im getting tired of it for their sake.
If your gonna consolidate you study the big picture. Do some real planning and analysis, and cost and set some time lines.
And you let the people know, not hide that it was ever even mentioned.
At least DC knows they will at some point or time or maybe they will.
All the kids in WC hear is ok time to close your school next year. Well not this year. But maybe next year.
Now honestly is that fair to these kids?
Hell no it ain't.
If it was your kids would you like it?
I know Counts from talking to him on here. He has a child. I don't think if his kid was a teen entering highschool he would want it happening to them every year.
You all think about it.
I've give you my thoughts and how i think it should even be done, as far as putting the schools on college campuses, where the kids can get dual educational needs met.
And those who don't go the educational way, can get vocational training, state of the art style.
While still probably retaining most of the staff that the last proposal would of eliminated.
Hell may not of scored 1600 on my SAT's or 25 on my ACT's but i know BS, when i read it, and all your reading in Frank's letter is his ego got stepped on.
Who come up with the original closure plan? Franks.
And he presents it to Basham without anyone else's approval.
But Pound and St. Paul wasn't on the block from the get go. Ok if anyone believes that. I got some swamp, oops, great farm land i'll sell you. Oh and cheap. $54 million dollars cheap.
Get real folks the cat got let out, and a person's ego got stepped on and they lost their buddy, so stir again, and yet again, no funding and no real plans again.
Point of interest taken. From a person with a bruised ego but, still no plans on how to do any of what he talks about, and actually make it work.
Maybe if we get a real superintendent with a real plan and idea, well we'll see.
But i will say this. And if it works out that way. I will wonder about a few things. With grant money approved for DC and a vote giving the ok, if WC does it first and DC follows right after.
I think it will be clear what DC's hold was.
So i guess i got another shining few moments. Thank you for your time and patience from the legendary LPDFTBL....
Just general comments, we folks are gonna have to face some things- we are gonna have to get some band-aids, Un-chained talked about being cold when he was in school, but the school board spent 10,000 to re-surface a track. Dickenson Co should hane been able , if you had the people with the smarts to get flood cash and anti-terrorist money , to be done with the schools. Don't ask me, Bush drew up the plan, one town has paid for a truck and trailer to haul their lawn mower to the mower races. If it takes that much time, and we get honest studies and phase the kids in as a group like when they would move to a junior high level , leaving 3 grades at the old schools, we'll still be a long time moving and some of the buildings need work now. Appy elementary doesn't even have a gym. Wonder why our faithful leaders ain't jumped on that windfall of cash? Perhaps because that wasn't what it was meant for. And one more thing, Ted Thompson is running for School Board, but Fred would bring more changes- Fred wouldn't last any longer than I would [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], but it would be fun. Ted however will do whatever would bring the best for ALL the kids.
I just buried my brother, he was one of the ones that fell thru Lee Counties cracks- tell me now, what is the benefits of a big school? I've been in schools where you didn't dare turn your back on certain groups, and they knew better than to do the same with you. That was the way it was when I got there and when I left (Dayton, Ohio), and I didn't see much hope for change. The police and teachers worked recess together. -these are just comments for this train of thoughts, not aimed at Tob, it just seemed this post kinda summed up this part of this thread
Well one thing spuds. We live here. We know a little bit. No matter how dumb we may act on here.
Franks letter is all about a bruised ego. We both know at some point something will have to happen. Problem is we have everyone else looking in saying do it.
Problem is we don't have the federal funding allowing us to do it, we have to pay for it. And as a person who has to pay for it.
I don't want to pay for it now and when im 65 to do it all again, due to poor planning.
Ah but were just a couple of stupid asses from WC, what do we know. One thing we got a few years experience and see some of the real bad BS about life. Where some ah they don't see it or get it.
And the kids, hell they don't matter no more, it's all about who's ego is hurt now adays. What a shame. But it's the truth. So ya know i hope folks pissed at me. I want them to. Hell if telling the truth pisses folks off so be it.
At least i can say, hell kids i didn't keep you upset all the time. I wanted what was best for you even if it meant consolidation, based on some real planning.
Can our board say that? No.
If anything we could get a hell of alot of funding for just fire safety and handicap accessibility. Probably a lot of state funding, but we have to many ego's to deal with and no one to lead.
Maybe our next Super will figure it all out. Hell us dumb hillbillies can't. Even with the good ole boys club involved........ [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
LPD you are right the dission on wheather to consoladate or not can not be made in the spur of the moment or in rteguards to egos. I think the "Plan" that Bashum had last year was a piece of crap and I am a guy that leans toward consoladation as a solution. I like you belive that if it is going to work the Schools need to be built and not patched back together with added trailers.
I am sure that there are some in DC that do not belive that a new school will ever be built and I would be lieing to you if I said I was 100% sure without a doubt. The last peep I heard out of the situation was almost a year ago and with the way grant/federal money can sundenly dissapear who can say what will happen
Here is the last Artical on the subject from the Coalfield
CLINTWOOD - Dickenson County's school board and board of supervisors passed a resolution Monday night that moves them a step closer to what could be the opportunity of a lifetime.
The resolution, passed separately and unanimously by both boards, authorizes the pursuit of bonded debt to fund school construction and renovation projects. The projects are part of a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers flood damage reduction plan.
Advertisement
If Congress approves the Corps' proposal, it offers the school board opportunity to use federal money to flood proof one elementary county school, relocate a second elementary school and build a new consolidated high school at Clinchco.
The school board also unanimously accepted recommendations from school superintendent Damon Rasnick to complete the projects in three phases.
Clintwood, Ervinton and Haysi high schools would be closed and a new consolidated high school would be constructed. This phase would be the primary focus. No timeline has been established, but school officials hope ground can be broken for construction within two years.
The plan also calls for Sandlick Elementary School to be closed and a new school built at another site out of the flood plane.
Finally, the school board would find a way to offer flood protection for Clinchco Elementary School.
The school projects are part a larger, countywide flood proofing plan, estimated to cost about $105 million. Structures identified by the study were damaged during an April 1977 flood.
While the federal government would pay 95 percent of the project, local government would have to fund the rest, which would be about $5.2 million. The school construction and relocation projects have been estimated at about $67 million, so the county's portion of that project would be about $3.3 million.
For the project to move forward, however, the county must show how it can finance its portion. The boards' approval of the resolutions Monday night is part of that requirement.
The current school debt will be paid in full in 2009 and payments for the proposed projects would be about the same as the current payment.
If the project is approved and funded, this would allow the school system to have one consolidated high school, a new Sandlick Elementary School building and flood proofing for Clinchco Elementary School, all without a tax hike for county citizens, Rasnick noted.
School board members and supervisors see the Corps' proposal as a good deal for tax payers and an opportunity to fund a much-needed consolidation project.
Rasnick believes the deal is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
"If this goes through, I think overall, we will be equal to any secular school in the state of Virginia," said Rasnick. "I think the opportunities we can offer our students are unlimited in regard to programs and I think that is where the focus ought to be."
RASNICK'S RECOMMENDATIONS
Rasnick outlined his recommendations to complete the project in three phases.
-- Phase I. During this phase, the school system and Corps would work together to outline a plan for building one high school to serve the entire county. The school board wants to acquire 75 to 150 acres of property adjacent to Clinchco Elementary School. The property, formerly owned by Pittston Coal Co., is now owned by Forestland Group, LLC.
Rasnick also encouraged the board to contact Alpha Resources, which owns mineral rights on the property, about the possibility of surface mining to extract coal from the proposed site. If the company mines the site, it would drastically cut site development costs for the school board.
Rasnick said the consolidated high school would have about 800 students. No matter how many students attend the school, however, the campus must include a band room, cafeteria, library, field house, home education and shop facilities and gymnasium.
He suggested Phase I be the primary focus of the flood damage relocation project and urged the school board to do everything possible to facilitate bid preparation for this phase.
-- Phase II. The school board will work with the Corps to relocate Sandlick Elementary School and select a site to rebuild it on.
-- Phase III. The school board will work with the Corps to resolve the flood threat to Clinchco Elementary School. Rasnick recommended the board consider an alternate plan to the Corps' recommendation of a flood wall.
http://www.hostboard.com/LDPforum/ub...art=2&vc=1
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Maybe our next Super will figure it all out. Hell us dumb hillbillies can't. Even with the good ole boys club involved........
[/ QUOTE ]I might be a dumb hilly-billy ,but I know what to tell'em NOT to study. It just took me a while to save enough money for all the rope. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Sorta like keepin' Russia in World War II, you might not like me but, as long as I'm in the line of fire, someone else doesn't get shot first. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Bookmarks